Transition involves new Reception students having the opportunity to visit our school prior to commencing the following year. All Reception students attend 3 transition visits. This occurs in Term 2 for students starting in Term 3 or in Term 4 for students starting in Term 1.
The aims of the transition program at St. Thomas More include helping children to;
- Familiarise themselves with the school grounds and classrooms
- Develop a positive relationship with different teachers
- Get to know other children in the school and possible classmates
- Develop an understanding of School Norms
- Become accustomed to school routines such as recess
- Feel safe and happy at school
- Feel a sense of belonging to our school community
The transition program also provides an opportunity for teachers to get to know children, their interests, gifts, talents and any learning areas which may require early intervention when they begin school.
An Information Morning for new parents is held in the term before children are due to start school.